Sunday, August 27, 2006

Roaring Winds, Obstruction Point, i think...... ;-)

Last post I ended with a "what's missing from this picture" question. Needless to say that the Cadillac below is not like the others that usually start off one of our trips. That's because Kiwi was not with me on this excursion. She recently developed conjuctivitis in her left eye. Pinkish colored with some discharge. I noticed the right eye started to get some color on Sunday, so Kiwi was admitted to the house of care and rest. I'm not sure how it happens, but we have the medicine and are following directions.With Kiwi on convalescent leave, I decided to visit the Olympic National Park, due to it having a no pets policy. (I prefer the policies of the ONF) Personal preferences and politics aside, the sound of roaring winds was the destination. Roaring Winds- Obstruction Point trail is the highest trail in the park, passing through alpine country of immense beauty and yielding awesome views.

On my way to Port Angeles, I had the opportunity to snap a few pictures of some nearby elk. Hard to see from the photo, but they had bedded down about 20-30 feet behind them. Circular area of ~20ft. There were five that I could see.It was another gorgeous day in the Pacific Northwest. High, light clouds with an expected low 80's for the thermometer. Perfect conditions for a high country hike.

After about a hundred mile drive and five pounds of collected dirt on the Ducati, the trailhead was in sight. Gear check, camera check, laces yep, and plenty of water. Oh man, forgot the gorp! (trail food) Oh well, not that big a deal. 8-9 hours without food will just make the it taste
better when you do get some, unless its from McD's. :-(

Here is a photo looking southish from the Hurrican Ridge visitor center. I hope to see experience some snow today.Got up pretty early so not many folks on the trail. The picture below shows the trail that I actually was supposed to be following. It goes to the Obstruction Point camp, I think. ROFL There goes my navigator license. :-O Well, I looked around and another trail headed off to some nearby peaks along a ridgeline. I wanted a challenge, so I set my own paws in that direction, enjoying the view very clearly.

About 45 minutes on the trail, we have the view of Badger valley with the center Olympics behind. Really pretty in person.This shot gives a prelude of what lies ahead. I had no map, so I set my sights on that far left peak. Video of destination and Badger Valley.And here are two more peaks along the ridge that have to be hiked to get where I was headed. And yes, the snow was close enough to enjoy.But is that all? Nope, looking down to the right was the green forest of Badger valley, while the left side held some small lakes that were shimmering their blue-green beauty from the shining sun. I think I saw Ariel. Hubba hubba

Some of the non-easy, fun, challenging, make you earn it, stuff that had to be crossed. :-)
I'm not sure if it's flint, shale, or whatnot, I just remember it looking like that floating stuff in the Death Star garbage grinder, when Han & Luke were rescuing Leia. :-O
Below you can see the destination getting closer. No rivers to play in, no shots of Kiwi, :-( just boots to trail hiking. Although I deviated from the trail several times to climb the peaks. Up down, up down. Have any aspirin? ;-) This video shows a 360 from roughly halfway to the goal.
One of the ridges was pretty dangerous. Barely see a path, lots of boulders, rocky and steep angles, added to the loose footing made for spiderman techniques. Kinda glad Kiwi was not here for the sole fact that if she had a tugged on the leash at the wrong time, ouch. It would take good teamwork to cross the rocky ridge.The goal is getting closer. From this shot below to the peak took about an hour. After crossing the ridge, I dropped a couple hundred feet and went a cross a bunch of scree. The kind where you slide a step backward for every one you take forward. Still, it was the safer route.After reaching the last peak, I left a note for Kiwi. It took her awhile, but she did teach me to write her name. ;-)Another one of the emerald beauties. Real captivating to watch the sun sparkle off the water. No one around, no signs of humans, an occasional hawk riding the currents. Very tranquil.Permission to gloat. :-)
Actually had a phone signal up on the peaks, although it was roaming signal. :-( Now its time to head back. The photo below shows the route I had taken coming up the last ridge. Can't really see it, can you? It was not easy.
Here is that sneaky, snakey, slippery trail of scree that had to be renegotiated.
Some photos on the way back. Canada can be seen in the last shot.


As I'm finishing this post, I'm happy to say that Kiwi is almost completely cured of her conjuctivitis. So she'll be ready for the next adventure of Kiwi, the Australian Cattle Dog. :-)

No comments: