Saturday, September 09, 2006

Finally

With a great amount of work by my friend Steph, the office furniture is complete. He took my conceptual ideas and made them a reality.
Because of the outstanding hikes Kiwi and I are able to experience, I selected a wall covering or wall mural that transports us to our favorite outdoors. Three tranquil forest scenes with a twelve foot peaceful waterfall mural as the centerpiece. The murals frame the massive desk, setup for two PC's, with an adjoining printer stand that blends very well. Also no support pieces for the knees to hit. Another trick that Steph pulled from his bag of experience.
The piece de resistance, is a horizontal file cabinet that doubles as a sitting bench (settee?) Stained for color and material enhancement, it is also verathaned for a deep, long lasting shine. It's an odd, five walled room, that I envisioned as a relaxing retreat. This is the room that we escape to when I want to unwind or work on Kiwi's blog.Keeping with the outdoor theme, I stow all our backpacks and camping gear in the opposite corner. Kiwi's blanket or "sofa" is right behind my chair. Where she'll stretch out for her naps as I type like a turtle, working on the blog. :-)Roughly 2-3 things are still hanging out there on my finalization list. One, is a small desktop waterfall type piece. I want to find one that provides the right sound of a soft, gurgling Buckhorn wilderness stream. This would add to the ambience. Another item remaining, is the flooring. Although there is a light wheat colored carpet, it sort of pulls the eyes away from the whole. I've joked that I should lay down a yard of beauty bark. That would make it just like one of our hikes. LOL But Kiwi would have it eaten within a month if I let her. ROFL She does like her sticks. The final item that has me really puzzled is lighting. Currently the room is lit by one normal ceiling lamp. I'd like to have some indirect lighting that can be adjusted for brightness. Think it would lend another layer of softness. Add in some filters, and the "sunsets" could be simulated. :-) But the lighting challenge is beyond me at the moment.

Lots of time went into the construction of the pieces. Here are some shots as we work our weary way to completion. Really enjoyable working on a project with a friend that takes time to explain all the nuances. He did such a good job of mentoring that no blood was shed during all the time we spent in the shop. :-)
A closeup shot of the lap joints. Some detailed work here and much stronger than nailing the ends together.Average Joe worker in action.I think Steph took a vacation after seeing the last piece leave his shop. :-)Video

I know that there has been a shortage of Kiwi on the blog the past couple of weeks. Not intentional, just working on other things. I am anxious to get back into showcasing her, but I don't want to just throw up snapshots with "here we are at Home Depot", or other lackluster stuff. On the other hand, it does take a lot of work to imagine, create, shoot, edit video and audio, trim, synch, etc... a decent movie. IF you know what you're doing to begin with. LOL

So, thank you all for your comments, both online and off. Take care and Peace.

R/ Mike

1 comment:

Mike said...

You know, the idea about the hardwood floors is a good one. Might just have to look into the laminate area of the local Lowe's or Home Depot.

You got me smiling with your description of the pile of hiking gear. It's so, so 'male' of you, is the way I would have finished the sentence. LOL And an apt desription too.

The plants and desktop fountain would add better ambience, good suggestions.

Thanks for the ideas and future waterfalls. :-)