Sunday, November 12, 2006

Gold Creek Trail and more

Weather again is dictating some of our outdoor activities. We saw a little blue in the skies, so we packed light and headed to a local trail. The Gold Creek Trail is a moderate five mile hike to decent views. As always, the trail is best shared with someone. A refreshing snack at the summit was enjoyed by all.
Kiwi with her RuffWear harness and backpack. I forgot to load it down with some weight, but we'll add about five pounds for our next outing. The trail climbs briefly to a traverse above the chattering Gold Creek, a shaded tributary to Tahuya Lake.
Salal and huck, the brush that provides pickers with the only real gold in these hills, decorates the trailside along with Oregon grape.
We climbed to the east overlook for views toward Seattle, Mount Ranier, Mount Baker, and Puget Sound. Until she blew her top, Mount St. Helens was visible from this viewpoint to the southeast.For a good view of some of the country that we have been able to enjoy, we turned around and looked across Hood Canal at the Olympic Mountains. From the south to the north, the major summits include Washington, Stone, The Brothers, Jupiter, and Constance.
Our Kiwi turns one year old this coming Tuesday. :-)Video of our hiking fun. ;-)



Here a couple of shots in Kiwi's new rainsuit. It is the Cascade Bodysuit from K9TopCoat. When Kiwi is wearing the rainsuit, she is really mellow and seems to 'shutdown'. This is because the suit is acting like an article of restraint. She will become accustomed to it over time. She does not bark or fight when we put it on. Kiwi is actually pretty tolerant of 'clothing'.
Here is a quick video of the little devil when she was out this past halloween. :-)

1 comment:

Mike said...

ACDL, As always, thank you for the kind words. We had a few chuckles after the family saw the video and it's 'bloopers'. :-) But it's all in fun and provides good family memories for the future.

As a matter of coincedence, I was just looking at camera batteries the other day. A co-worker asked ablout the camera after I brought in a bunch of 8x12's to liven up my office, and I should him the camera online. On the same page were some replacement batteries for $8 each. Normally I have seen them between $25-30, a good bargain. I should order two for that price. I think I only ran out of battery on one hike, but I can't remember if it was fully charged at the start. So now before a hike, I'll drain the battery completely and recharge it overnight. So far I've yet to run out of battery during the day. If I do more than one hike on the charge, I run the risk of a dead battery. But I use it for filming, shooting and always have the LCD screen on the back lit for ease of point and shoot. So overall, I get a least a day of battery use, BUT I am not the professional photographer as y'all are, so our usage may vary.

The backpack has a couple of uses for us. When on long or future overnight hikes, Kiwi will carry her supplies. Now, with some weight in it, she acts more 'mature' as if she has a job or is performing a duty. She wanders less during the hike also. A little side bonus is that some store workers look twice at her when she is wearing it, and I see the gears turning in their head whether or not to ask her to leave. But when they see her behaving well and my 'professional' demeanor, (LOL), they hesitate and I walk right on by as I have permission. :-)

I have another idea for a "video" to share with the ACD List, Just need to start putting it on paper. It has potential, so fingers crossed. :-)

Take care, scooby snack to Jasmine, and Peace.


R/ Mike