Sunday, November 19, 2006

A short one

Again we were fortunate to have a window this weekend where we were able to find us a trail. Lots of precipitation this time of year. But it causes snow in the mountains., which brings many fun activities. Yahoo!

We head off to the highway, listening to 'old fart' songs as Jordy puts it. :-) I turn the iPod down low so the little prince and furry princess can get more of their beauty sleep.

After we arrive, I am surprised at the amount of snow on the trail. Kiwi and I have been on this hike twice before this summer and it yields magnificent panaramic views at the top. I thought we could get some snow-capped peaks in our pictures. But I was wrong.After about two miles, I called a halt to the hike. The snow covering the trail was acceptable, not too difficult and the weather was cooperating. But, we were mostly equipped for a summer hike with the exception of clothing. Our boots were for summer (read not completely waterproof) no crampons, no ice axe, no trekking poles. So to ensure we come back another time, better equipped, I pulled the plug.We were all game, but it is better to be safe and hike another day. We had the whole trail to ourself, and we really did have some fun. And Kiwi was having a blast with the snow. She even got lucky with a dropped Pringle chip from Jordy. LOL One concern that crossed my mind was the pads on Kiwi's paws. We had no issues with them on the hike, but I do know that snow can be hard an a dogs feet. I have seen dog booties advertised. I have also lived in Alaska and know that the dogs running the Iditarod have paw protection. I would tend to take the advice of the professional mushers for paw care when it came to Kiwi's little feetsies. Hmmmm, research.
So here is our little video of what we did enjoy. Please take the time to enjoy nature and give back to what gives so much to enjoy. Peace

Video

2 comments:

Mike said...

ACDL, Thank you for the kind words. It was a little dejecting hiking out with high hopes and see patches of blue sky. I know it would have nice to enjoy the views and snap some pics, but..........have to play it safe. Better all the way around for everyone. Concerning footwear for Kiwi, I emailed a breeder up in Alaska for their opinion. Perhaps they have some information that they have picked up from mushers.

Unfortunately I have not caught most of the Buckley saga. I was conducting an audit at another location all last week and these two weekss has me doing the single parent duty, so I have some catching up to do. I do need to update the blog on Kiwi's 'transition' activties. I just have to find time and that pensive mood so I can capture my thoughts on Kiwi. ;-)

Parent-teacher tele-conference in a moment. Take care and hugs to Jasmine.

R/ Mike

Anonymous said...

Hey Tío Mike... Luv the song on the video. It sure fits Kiwi's personality. She's is a real playful girl, I know by experience...lol.
I sure wish I was up there hiking with you guys. The scenery looks amazing.

your nephew George.